Learning and Development Manager
Job Title: Learning and Development Manager
Department/Team: People Team
Type of Contract: Full Time
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya (role includes some travel within and outside Kenya)
About Moringa School
Moringa School is transforming higher education in Africa, starting with software development. In our current program, we transform ambitious amateurs to coding professionals.
We are a premier advanced immersive program, training exceptional full-stack and mobile Software Engineers. Moringa School is currently expanding rapidly into other courses and geographies across Africa and is looking for top talent to accelerate our growth.
Moringa School was named one of the 'Top 10 Most Innovative Companies' in 2018 by Fast Company.
Moringa School's mission is twofold:
- To empower people &
- To transform education through rapid-iteration teaching.
Employees enjoy a fun, collegial startup environment, you will be surrounded by talented, friendly, brilliant, & mission-driven professionals who work hard to provide the best student experience of its kind in the world.
We are committed to employee health & wellness- we truly believe that you need to take care of yourself first. We understand the value in remote working & support it as needed.
Why we are Hiring for this Role
We are looking for a Learning and Development Manager to help our employees advance their careers, skills and knowledge. You will be responsible for all internal employee learning programs, from functional job training to professional development activities. You will also be responsible for incorporating key principles of adult education to effectively design and implement consistent training programs and materials aligning with the organizational vision and core values.
Strategy and Design
- Create a learning and development strategy, vision and action plan to implement dynamic learning systems contributing to the success of Moringa School.
- Develop the infrastructure for all training and development programs by establishing standardized methods and procedures for delivery, evaluation, measurement and reporting.
- Design, implement & deliver training programs to drive employee performance both for new hires and ongoing talent development.
- Develop scalable training solutions (e.g. coaching, job-shadowing, e-learning, etc), evaluating both face-to-face and virtual solutions, for delivery to a large audience, making learning an unforgettable experience.
- Develop assessments that measure learner outcomes including productivity.
- Together with line managers, develop career development programs that will support the upskilling of our teams.
- Work with the Director of People in designing systems that link learning and development programs to career growth and performance management.
- Prepare the annual training plan for staff on both technical and soft skills development for improved service delivery.
- Manage training needs assessment for individual staff and fellows in consultation with departmental heads in different centers, including assessment methods and measurement tools.
- Project manage learning and development initiatives including coordination of logistics, managing materials and providing a critical eye to ensure content is stage ready
- Create customized training content and support other content creators to support multiple team needs on e-learning platforms.
- Use appropriate tools and delivery methods to produce blended learning materials promoting learning through self-study, practice, performance support, socialization and knowledge-sharing.
- Monitor and evaluate the training effectiveness through feedback and evaluation following the sessions to continuously improve learning effectiveness.
- Monitor and report on L&D activities, costs and performance.
- Maintain a keen understanding of training trends, developments and best practices.
- Conduct and facilitate robust induction and orientation sessions.
- Work with Director of People in various HR projects such as change management, culture entrenchment, compensation & benefits.
- Support the Director of People in driving HR strategy across Moringa School.
- Has a dotted line of management to the CEO.
- Project Management
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Stakeholder management
- Human Centred Design Thinking
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- High attention to detail and proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously.
- Understands Human Centred Design Thinking toolkit
- Ability to work effectively with tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency and drive
- 7+ years prior time working in technology companies valued
- Direct people management experience and Leadership development work a plus
- Ability to assess and track training effectiveness through the use of metrics
- Demonstrated track record of developing learning systems that drive performance improvements
- Excellent presentation, report writing and research skill
- Current knowledge of effective learning and development methods including understanding of training trends and best practices
- Results oriented and have thrived and succeeded in operating a new business in a highly ambiguous environment.
- Familiarity with e-learning platforms and content creation
- An understanding of or eagerness to understand learning needs
- Worked with a growing global employee base in a mid-sized company
- Passionate about helping people learn and grow
- Experience facilitating the learning and development in IT industry or for a startup is an added advantage
Values Alignment: The Moringa Way
- Embrace collaboration (working together to complete a task or achieve a goal)
- Be bold (being daring and courageous)
- Have humility (acting without pride or arrogance)
- Celebrate accountability (taking responsibility for your actions and their outcomes)
- Have a growth mindset (believing that you and those around you have the potential to improve through intentional practice and feedback from others)
- Be fun loving (enjoying life in a lively, lighthearted way)
Career Growth & Development
We do not believe that an organization can grow without the growth & development of its staff. At Moringa, we are consistently building systems to invest in the growth of our employees. We are deeply invested in offering career growth within Moringa, provide actionable feedback through “weekly check-ins” & thorough career reviews. We will work together with you to craft roles that both support the needs of the organization and that you can be passionate about.
How Can You Apply?
- You will need to email the following to Recruitment at joinus[at]moringaschool.com
- Your CV
- A cover letter (answering 3 questions, why Moringa, why this position, why you)
- Subject Line: Application for insert "role name", insert "full name"