UX/UI Technical Mentor
Job Title: UX/UI Technical Mentor
Department/Team: Learning Team
Type of Contract: Full time
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya (role includes some travel within and outside Kenya)
About Moringa School
Moringa School is transforming higher education in Africa, starting with software development. In our current program, we transform ambitious amateurs to coding professionals.
We are a premier advanced immersive program, training exceptional full-stack and mobile Software Engineers. Moringa School is currently expanding rapidly into other courses and geographies across Africa and is looking for top talent to accelerate our growth.
Moringa School was named one of the 'Top 10 Most Innovative Companies' in 2018 by Fast Company.
Moringa School's mission is twofold:
- To empower people &
- To transform education through rapid-iteration teaching.
Employees enjoy a fun, collegial startup environment, you will be surrounded by talented, friendly, brilliant, & mission-driven professionals who work hard to provide the best student experience of its kind in the world.
We are committed to employee health & wellness- we truly believe that you need to take care of yourself first. We understand the value in remote working & support it as needed.
Why we are Hiring for this Role
Moringa School is in an exciting transition from a primarily Nairobi-based school to an international education organization via rapid growth across Africa and expansion into new course offerings. This has generated the need for a Technical Mentor who will offer student support and work alongside other student delivery teams to ensure that our students are getting the best out of the course.
- Lead and coordinate all classroom activities for your class
- Responsibility for class and student success and happiness.
- Weekly 1.1’s with students, including personal check-in and independent project review
- Disciplinary follow-up for all incomplete independent projects
- Disciplinary follow-up for all academic and interpersonal issues
- Fill out and maintain student tracking, come up with plans for success of all students
- Raise red flags early when students are not on track!
- Kick off and run all daily activities, such as: daily standup, peer review hour, etc
- Master TM responsibilities and processes to ensure quality is maintained
- Once TM mastery is achieved, iterate on processes such as classroom structure, curriculum, etc by providing good feedback and insights, doing (very calculated) experiments, and updating documentation
- Personal professional growth: Moringa is part of your professional journey. It is up to you to decide how you want to grow through that journey, and to continuously - improve in doing your work using the tools at your disposal.
- 1+ years experience working in the UX/UI space
- Working knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals
- Possession of a portfolio would be highly preferred
- Experience in use of Use best practices, including Agile and Test Driven Development
- Genuine interest in mentoring/coaching
- Lots of patience and empathy, ability to work well with and accommodate the needs of other people
- Strong problem solving abilities to handle complex situations involving many people
- Ability to work with and mentor large, diverse groups of people
- Positive, empathetic, team-player with a systems-mindset
- Ability to multitask and strategically solve diverse problems
- Coding school alumni (Preferred)
- Experience teaching, working in education, or program management is preferred
Values Alignment: The Moringa Way
- Embrace collaboration (working together to complete a task or achieve a goal)
- Be bold (being daring and courageous)
- Have humility (acting without pride or arrogance)
- Celebrate accountability (taking responsibility for your actions and their outcomes)
- Have a growth mindset (believing that you and those around you have the potential to improve through intentional practice and feedback from others)
- Be fun loving (enjoying life in a lively, lighthearted way)
Career Growth & Development
We do not believe that an organization can grow without the growth & development of its staff. At Moringa, we are consistently building systems to invest in the growth of our employees. We are deeply invested in offering career growth within Moringa, provide actionable feedback through “weekly check-ins” & thorough career reviews. We will work together with you to craft roles that both support the needs of the organization and that you can be passionate about.
How Can You Apply?
- You will need to email the following to Recruitment at joinus[at]moringaschool.com
- Your CV
- A cover letter (answering 3 questions, why Moringa, why this position, why you)
- Subject Line: Application for insert "role name", insert "full name"