Job Title: Partnerships Lead
Department/Team: Finance Team
Type of Contract: Full time
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya (role includes some travel within and outside Kenya)
About Moringa School
Moringa School is transforming higher education in Africa, starting with software development. In our current program, we transform ambitious amateurs to coding professionals.
We are a premier advanced immersive program, training exceptional full-stack and mobile Software Engineers. Moringa School is currently expanding rapidly into other courses and geographies across Africa and is looking for top talent to accelerate our growth.
Moringa School was named one of the 'Top 10 Most Innovative Companies' in 2018 by Fast Company.
Moringa School's mission is twofold:
- To empower people &
- To transform education through rapid-iteration teaching.
Employees enjoy a fun, collegial startup environment, you will be surrounded by talented, friendly, brilliant, & mission-driven professionals who work hard to provide the best student experience of its kind in the world.
We are committed to employee health & wellness- we truly believe that you need to take care of yourself first. We understand the value in remote working & support it as needed.
Why We Are Hiring For This Role
Moringa School is a growth stage start-up. We are constantly iterating our model, our product offering & our target market. For instance, we are consistently launching new courses. Our Learning, Classroom & Curriculum teams are expanding as we design new curriculum material & expand our student base.
We are also testing our model in new geographies (from Ghana, West Africa to Pakistan, East Asia to Rwanda, East Africa). To this end, our marketing, growth & infrastructure teams are expanding to pilot these models. In a nutshell, Moringa is growing in all capacities.
We are hiring for this role because we are a for-profit business seeking grants to push faster growth, mitigate risk, expand the boundaries of what we can achieve, and deepen our social impact.
As a result, this role will be essential in driving our work forward. One of our grant-funded initiatives is our access program, which brings low-income students through Moringa’s program on scholarship and offers our curriculum for free to secondary schools throughout Kenya.
This position will be extremely high-impact. You will be Moringa’s first full-time staff member dedicated to grant-seeking. You will build our grants-related operations from the ground up, execute them, and expand as needed. You will operate with a high degree of independence and autonomy in this role. We are looking for a self-starter with a lot of initiative.
We are seeking a passionate, creative, and outgoing team member with excellent writing skills to share our strategic vision in a coherent and compelling manner to potential and existing partners.
Funder Relationship Building and Management
- Serve as point of contact for all current and potential donors
- Hunt down information at donors’ request as it arises
- Lead meetings and phone calls with potential funders and related stakeholders
- Plan and lead funder visits to Moringa
- Form strategic connections in funder networks
Proposal Creation and Submission
- Lead proposal creation process by gathering information from management team members on specific proposals
- Write and revise proposals through an iterative process with manager and other team members
- Work with operations team members to gather budget line items and their financial projections for each, tailoring actual needs with the narrative of the grant
- Write applications for awards
- Keep all documentation organized and streamlined
- Research opportunities for funding, evaluating for fit, mapping which Moringa initiatives potential grantors could fund and creating profiles for reference
- Map current relationships and networks
- Careful tracking and documentation of grant research
- Research into award opportunities
- Preparation for conferences- deep-dive research into who will be there, who to talk to and their backgrounds. Create written recommendations for conference attendee
- Stay on top of opportunities in the sphere
Strategy and Grants Activity Tracking
- Creation of fundraising strategy- how can we ensure needs are met? Determine long-term timelines, fundraising targets, plans for relationship-building and focuses for proposals
- Support organization-wide needs assessment and set fundraising targets that are aligned with capacity and the bigger financial picture
- Set timelines for proposal development, accounting for multiple iterations, information collection, definition of narrative, budget development and collaboration with team members
- Tracking of grant applications and points of contact, status of relationships, etc.
- Ensure that goals are on track and strategy is being followed
- Gather impact numbers and statistics from operations teams and data team
- Develop ways to stay on top of organizational happenings, changes, strategy
- Create systems for information management and upkeep related to grant proposals
Creation and Development of Impact Narrative
- Collect impact stories
- Develop ways to frame organization and achievements
- Conduct research to support framing- statistics that can be used in proposals and other communications
- Create nuanced impact narratives tailored to audience
PR and Communications
- Write pitches and speeches
- Represent Moringa at events- networking, conferences, public speaking etc.
- Work with graphic designer to create pitch decks and other presentations for funders
Grant Reporting and Management
- Write grant reports
- Write updates for funders as needed
- Check in with operations teams responsible for implementing grants to make sure plans have not changed and spending and goals are on track
- Stay on top of changes and communicate these to funders if needed
- Write requests to change proposals as needed
Please note that the responsibilities may change as per business demands
- Three to five years of grant writing experience with a proven track record of success
- Previous experience managing partnerships with foundations/philanthropists
- Demonstrated knowledge of donor relationship-building
- English fluency
- Experience fundraising for the education or tech sectors in East Africa is a plus
- Experience fundraising for a for-profit social enterprise is a plus
- Experience writing government grant proposals is a plus
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong communicator, able to explain complex ideas in succinct and compelling ways
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Efficient time management and project planning abilities
- Strategic and systematic thinker
- Ability to work independently, proactively, and coordinate a variety of activities with a range of stakeholders
Values Alignment: The Moringa Way (HERO)
- Have humility (because we believe those who are humble have the greatest capacity to learn, grow and build epic solutions, bringing about change over time)
- Celebrate excellence (because we all strive for greatness and our ability to learn and grow isn’t just bound to time)
- Be revolutionary (because if we are going to leave our mark on this world, we need to be different and think different)
- Stay open (because choosing honesty over fear is a better way to live)
Career Growth & Development
We do not believe that an organization can grow without the growth & development of its staff. At Moringa, we are consistently building systems to invest in the growth of our employees. We are deeply invested in offering career growth within Moringa, provide actionable feedback through “weekly check-ins” & thorough career reviews. We will work together with you to craft roles that both support the needs of the organization and that you can be passionate about
How Can You Apply?
- You will need to email the following to Recruitment at joinus[at]moringaschool.com
- Your CV
- A cover letter (answering 3 questions, why Moringa, why this position, why you)
- Subject Line: Application for insert "role name", insert "full name"